It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:17 am

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:19 pm 

Urban light pollution is so bad now that the moonless night-time sky in urban areas is 14 to 25 times brighter than it would be without lights. In suburban areas, artificial lighting increases the sky brightness by a factor of 7 to 8. This is according to a study published in the journal "Royal Society Open Science":
"Photons spilled from overpowered and inadequately shielded street lights, travel long distances across the atmosphere, impinging on places that were not intended to be lit," said the study's author, Salavador Bara at the University of Santiago in Spain. Researchers are concerned about the effects on the circadian rhythm of plants and animals. One study has shown that turning night into day reduces the population of pea aphids, by preventing flowering in one of their key sources of food.
Dark-sky sites in Britain are at risk due to light pollution creep, including new sources of artificial lighting, such as rows of LED garden lights along paths, etc.

Last edited by brian livesey on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 pm 

It could be worse.

And sure enough tomorrow it will be worse.

This is not pessimism it is just reality.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:37 pm 

Dear Brian and David
I saw an item on telly the other day - apparently someone's come up with a new bright idea suggesting people could have their own drones with a nice new bright light attached underneath. A lot of people using these drone lighting gadgets will enable local authorities to turn off street lighting saving council tax money.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:14 pm 

Hi Cliff,
Perhaps we can train large owls to bring them down.
In The Netherlands they use eagles, but in the daytime.

I think that drones should just be banned completely.

Except maybe a few killer drones that destroy them.

I suppose one could get onto their frequency and then pilot them straight to the municipal scrap heap where they are instantly melted down.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:49 am 

As an aside here, our local council switches off the road lighting along the strips where there are no dwelling houses. Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:21 pm 

As was inevitable, LED lamps have arrived on the road outside. They emit a raw, unshielded, cold, white light with just a hint of blue. Looking at them can depress anyone, and for skywatchers they render light-pollution filters useless.
Contrast this with the "warm" sodium glow of the lamps that the LEDs have ousted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:43 pm 

Brian,
I noticed that the big supplier of lamps has changed almost entirely to LED bulbs for the home.
The pace of this change to billions of LED lights is startling, despite there being much medical evidence that they are harmful.

I bought a stock of older bulbs, that might last me,

I do use an LED torch, but won't have LED house lamps if I can avoid them.

I still use tungsten bulbs also. The heat is not wasted, in winter it heats the home.

The new build opposite had one Rottweiler LED cheap, real nasty, 'security' fitting directed at us from 22 metres.
Magnitude minus 16.5.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:01 pm 

I sympathise with your LED security lamp problem David. Could they fit yellow filter covers to LED road lamps, to soften the tone and remove the disruptive blue light component?

Last edited by brian livesey on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:14 pm 

Brian,
There are LEDs with different spectra, but local authorities don't have a clue, and are not up to date.
Low cost is everything.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 pm 

The LED streetlights local to me, fitted maybe 3 years ago, do emit a distinctly yellowish light. Maybe it's just my old eyes?

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed