It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:41 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:38 pm 

Oh dear!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/a ... 61761.html

Another reason to sign the preceding light-pollution petition?

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:57 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
I am almost lost for words! What a wastefully stupid idea this so-called "artistic" venture is. I imagine that it is so daft and expensive to run (and so horribly invasive!) that hopefully it will not pass muster.

To quote from the article ..."... we can remind the world that London continues to be the global leader in innovation, sustainability and artistic creativity".

Where is the "innovation" in lighting up a bridge, where is the "sustainability" in wasting energy for no practical reason and as for the "artistic creativity", it looks to me like expensive self-indulgence, as a lot of these "artistic" schemes seem to me.

regards maf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:00 pm 

Abandon all hope Mike. At the local ALDI store this morning there were boxes of "ultra-bright" solar garden lights stacked up for sale.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:56 am 

Brian; Even more reason for me to concentrating on dawn & dusk observing! See report on observing page. regards maf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:36 pm 

The Sun, Moon and planets are immune to light pollution, but it's disheartening for those of us who like to observe open star-clusters, etc.
We live in an age where quality of life is equated with quantity of life. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:28 pm 

Things could be worse.

Sure enough the next day things were worse.

There are building works on three sides very close to me in a world gone mad.
The near neighbour has just gone back to 5 glaring full on lamp units, each full Moon plus, from the two in recent years. On all night. Each double bulb.

Greed, avarice.

Humans must be amongst the most stupid creatures in the universe.
Totally unable to control themselves.
I include myself and nearly everyone I know.

Regards,

David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:46 pm 

From the film "The Matrix". Agent Smith expounds his revelation concerning Mankind :

Agent Smith:" I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

Hmm! Could he be right? :shock:

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:54 am 

Unfortunately the one type of solar system object I love to observe, comets, is not immune to light pollution although the bright ones are often crepuscular. I also quite like observing globular clusters and I rather consider them "false comets" - and these suffer much.
As for the "humanity as a virus" story, we seem to be rushing headlong into a "species traincrash"....more, more, more, more of everything except a sense of tranquillity, or a sense of place, everyone rushing desperately hither and thither, spreading like a ............! No I won't say it! regards maf........

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:11 pm 

And a lot of folk are getting fatter: Homo gluttonus. :lol:
As skywatchers, we know that even with moderate light pollution there are those rare nights when low water vapour and particulate pollution in the atmosphere allows us to see the band of the Milky Way and surprisingly good views of deep sky objects.
It's when light is reflected back to the ground by a humid and polluted atmosphere that visibility is reduced.