It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Post subject: street lights
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:26 pm 

From my back garden I have an open field to the south the north I strugel with due to my house but the problem I have is I can see the main road coming in to my town from my garden you probably get one car every two or three hours so the use of these lights after a sertan time seams point less to me if they shut them off would make my site very dark and save money

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: street lights
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:59 pm 

I think that unfortunately its a case of "dream on" with reducing street lighting. Seems that more Councils are coming under pressure from their Good Citizens to switch back on again
:roll:

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:27 am 

I to have a major problem with street lights as there is one about 10inchs from my Fench and about 12foot from where I can position my scope. I contacted the local council and then my local councillor who then had the back end of the light painted black. I won't say it has cured it but it has made it so much better. Athens council say Leicester are hoping to change all of the street lights to LED which are less pollutant as they direct light into the areas needed and not so much is wasted.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:36 pm 

Hi there I to have a light pollution issue as there is street light inches away from my fence. I contacted the local council with no joy so I contacted my local councillor who had the back of the light painted black, this has had quite a notable affect in that my garden is quite dark from what it was. I'm told that the street lights in Leicester are supposed to be changed to LED which as we know as less pollutant than those we currently have. Don't hold ones breath !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:46 am 

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the 60's when street lights went off at 11 pm. The logic was Pubs close at 10-30, 10 minutes drinking up time and the 20 minutes to get home. It all worked fine! If you were out after that you needed a torch even the thieves.

I wouldn't bet on it getting better in future as the LED lights put out more blue which scatters more and could be worse. We need to keep pressing for full cut off lights whatever the technology.