It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 am

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:29 pm 

Dear al(L)
A recent Jeremy Vine Radio Chat Show snippet about a serious road traffic accident.
After a night out a Warwickshire university student decided to walk 9 miles home at 2:40am.
On a stretch of main road (which has street lighting installed but was switched off to save electricity costs) he was walking along the carriageway, although there was a footway along one side. He was hit by a taxi. the driver said he did not see the pedestrian because of lack of street lighting on a road he had often driven many years. He apparently only felt the collision with the student and his body was only found 45 minutes later after the police got the street lighting switched on !
The coroner seemed to blame the lack of street light as a very significant factor in causing the accident accident.
Jeremy Vine briefly interviewed two experts.
I thought one a local authority man gave a balanced account.
A lady anti-road accident activist simply seemed to suggest the accident was just caused by lack of street lighting.
Best wishes from Cliff

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:23 pm 

. The accident was probably caused by a lack of streetlighting.
However, without streetlighting I suppose the gentleman should have been walking along the pavement.
Also the taxi driver should have had proper headlamps adjusted for a dark carriageway.

If we are going to have unlit streets then pedestrians need to wear light clothing and reflective armbands and jackets.
And vehicles needs to drive within their headlamp beam.

One of the worst things is when you come head-on to a car that only has one headlamp working.
The car looks like a motorbike and if the headlamp towards the middle-of-the-road is off then it can cause a fatal accident.
Whenever I see locals with brake lights or headlamps off if I am able I let them know.

I've lost count of the number of times I have told people they have flat tires and often they seem terrified when I point to the wheel thinking I'm some threat to them when all I'm trying to do is save them £50 or more from having a serious accident if they drive at speed with one tyre flat. Women in particular seem not to notice this and are terrified when I tried to point at their flat tires.
the first thing you should do before driving is to visually check all four tyres and also to know the situation with your lighting.

Regards David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:55 pm 

We've become far too reliant on streetlighting. Remember the "Wear something light at night" campaign? And don't get me started on cyclists without lights,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:37 pm 

Dear David
I now tell (what I think an amusing story but could have been seriously nasty).
In the 1970s, if I remember right.
Friends of mine were driving at night through France along a very straight but undulating countryside road single carriageway road (with no street lights of course). As they merrily bobbed along up and down, they saw a car with headlights on apparently heading towards them. They were going fairly fast and assumed the other car heading for them would be doing the same. However, they did think it was taking a long -ish time to reach it and for them to pass it, but bobbling up and down they thought their road surprisingly long .At last they reached the car. Which they realised too late wasn't moving at all. It was parked with headlights blazing at the end of their straight stretch of road and immediately beyond it was a sharp bend - and they were travelling much too fast to negociate it. So they ran off the road into a field.
They were dead lucky - no one was hurt and their car got only slightly damaged.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:13 pm 

. Dear Cliff,
Nice story and yes driving in France can be interesting.

Best regards David