It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:43 pm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:57 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
The (Weekend) Argus I am reading at this moment shows what is described as "This amazing photo of the south coast, centred on Brighton and Hove........." Actually a photo taken from the ISS showing the horrible blight of light pollution and energy waste. It certainly did not brighten my day!! maf

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:56 am 

I current fad of town-planners and "developers" is to sink spotlights into outside walkways with the beams pointing vertically into the sky.
The lamps have no functional role at all and neither are they artistic :roll: .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:10 pm 

Dear Mike and Brian
Our council installed several such upward pointing lights in a new local centre footpath way to the car park. Apparently the new lights were claimed to be indestructible.
Within a month or so several of the footway lights were smashed by vandals. I think t he council fillled the holes with tarmac. I don't know if any of the footway lights are still working but the car park is so brightly lit with high mast lighting that any seperate lighting for the footpath is totally unnecessary. Though not far from here I rarely go to that car park at night but on some occasions I noticed that only half the highmast carpark lights weren't lit but the car park was still more than adequately illuminated.
I suspect the council may be turning off some lights to reduce the electricity costs.
Best wishews from Cliff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:47 pm 

hi there Cliff, Brian and Mike,

I tried to view the comet pan stars that was immediately above a streetlight facing me.
Using several binoculars it was totally impossible to see anything because of ghost images and extreme veiling glare.
In fact the best PORR0 prism binocular was worse than roof prism binoculars.
In fact I have not seen the comet once.

The light pollution here is so bad nowadays any deep sky objects are not worth bothering with.

It was very cloudy at about 7:30 PM BST this evening and it began to rain even though the sun appeared lower over the West Horizon..
I went into the other room and saw a large rainbow which became brighter and brighter I took quite a lot of photos and it became so intense that there appeared to be 2 rainbows just inside the main rainbow.
There were at least two extra purple fine arcs.
I am not sure if there were in fact to or three rainbows next to each other.

I briefly saw the sun in the PST this morning but the cloud was too thick.
Also in filtered 10 x 25 binoculars there were two large sunspots.

This post is entirely done by dictation no typing at all.

Best regards David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:48 am 

Sad to hear about your light pollution problems David :( . Even in dark areas, a single, badly located, security light can wreak havoc for a nearby skywatcher.
I have a back garden that borders with a large playing field. In theory, it should be a relatively dark site ( it probably is compared to your own site, have you considered a move to a darker location? ), but this is marred by neighbours' security lights and a propensity for some of them to leave curtains open in brightly lit rooms.