It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:44 am

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:28 pm 

Hi folks

Just a quick one, Im a secondary school science teacher and amatuer astronomer who is trying to find out if there are any loan schemes of there for solar telescopes. We have a couple of telescopes already at the school, mostly belonging to me who brings them in to make lessons a little more exciting. I am planning on running a solar observation day in the summer but would love to have access to some H alpha scopes to aid with the observations.

Solar scopes as you are no doubt aware are quite pricey, and for a school to purchase one is very difficult. Are there any loan schemes out there where a west midlands based school could borrow a solar scope for a week or a day? A general Google search suggests that some parts of the Uk have loan schemes near them, but I couldnt see any for birmginham based schools.

I would love some advice on this, or anybody in any local astronomical societies may be able to assist

Look forward to hearing back from you

Ben

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:13 am 

Dear Ben,
Perhaps look up the Federation of Astronomical Societies, link above?, and approach local astro societies who may help.
I would not think many individual astronomers would loan solar scopes.
Also the safety aspects have to very carefully explained to any school children.
A 60mm refractor could be used to project white light images safely. These sometimes turn up in charity shops and are anyway quite cheap new.

Regards, David

Profile Send private message