It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:35 am

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:40 pm 

A really good issue just dropped in my letter box today. The mix of features and regular topics in this issue is outstanding - Tracie Heywood on variable stars, Deirdre Keaton on solar sketching, Graham Sparrow's Lunar report and those funny binoculars by Ian Morison are just a few of the gems. Kind thoughts Bob

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:25 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
1. As a non-artist who had attemped to work out a viable way to draw the H-alpha Sun with all its levels of spots, prominences , flares,and granualtions etc and I finally gave up. It would seem even more difficult than I ever imagined, as Deirdre's article explained!
2. The Ian Morison article on the reason how 2.1x42 binoculars can give an advantageous view, was very informative - I often puzzles over this, as I was at one time toying with the idea of buying a pair, but thought them too expensivw. It also lead me to Ian's www page with more.
3. The list of up-and-coming occulations by the Moon, especial those around Taurus, cheered me up a bit too.
---
In the sky, generally, there is an extreme dearth of reasonably bright comets, in fact, Heavens-Above lists absolutely ZERO following a time when it listed Comet Assassin (I know this is slightly wrongly written!) as + 5.5. magnitude. Hmmm. Have kept myself busy following Asteroid (7) Iris.
regards maf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:25 pm 

Yes Mike, woeful b***dy weather of late. Managed to do some vs obs in the clear spell last night (chi cygni seems to be around mag 4.6). a brief solar view today but my observations are less numerous this month. Give my love to Iris when you see her! Bob