It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:04 am

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:13 am 

Hi forum!
My name is Steffen, and I recently rekindled my passion for the night sky. It all started with a "economy" 60mm refractor I got for a birthday present 15 years ago. I was in awe and hooked when I first seen Saturn's rings and the jovian system. Sadly, that scope got damaged during a move and it has taken me till now to get back into it.
I bought an Orion Star blast 4.5 to get me started (again).
It arrived in the mail today but unfortunately the skies are too cloudy with forecasted rain to try it out.
This brings me to my question. After assembling the mount and telescope, I noticed that top of the Eq2 mount turns horizontally fairly easily on top of its base (the part where the tripod legs attach). I'm a <removed word> rookie with no experience with equatorial mounts. Should it have that kind of horizontal freedom to turn? There is a fairly large hex bolt head under the mount in the center between the tripod legs. Would that tighten up the horizontal turn of the mount on the base?
Thanks for any input!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:41 pm 

Hi and welcome!

You need to tighten the locking bolt until the equatorial head can no longer turn. Your manual should explain this. Here's an online version covering both EQ1 and EQ2 mountings if you need it:
http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/150.pdf

Before you tighten down make sure the equatorial head's Right Ascension axis points to one of the tripod legs, which then becomes the "north-facing" leg and will usefully stop the weight of the telescope tipping the tripod over in use .

Regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

Profile Send private message