It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:52 am

Post subject: Brand new to this game
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:30 pm 

Help! I have just set up a Celestron AstroMaster 114 which I got as a birthday present for my 8-year old. Been too busy until now to find a good dark night, but can't see a thing! I have tried with a 20mm Erecting eyepiece, but no luck; is this the right eyepiece to start with ? I took the eyepiece apart and wonder whether I am missing a piece. It breaks into 3 - not sure I put this back together correctly - for instance, should the concave face 'point' towards the eye (and the convex into the telescope if you see what I mean ? I thought this would be easy! Many thanks for any advice! Ian

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:11 pm 

Hi and welcome! :)

Re your eyepiece query have a look here:

Re not being able to see a thing, a few suggestions/ideas :)

http://www.celestron.com/support/knowle ... rticles/i-“accidentally”-took-apart-my-celestron-20-mm-erect-image-eyepiece-how-do-i-put-it-back-together

<<Edit by Brian 10 Jan 2015: Re the above link it doesn't work properly for me because of the "accidentally" where the "" bit seems to be illegal. Any way, if you copy the whole link and paste it back into your browser address bar it does work for me at least. Sorry about this, the article is there on the Celestron Knowledgebase and if you still have trouble I'll give you the steps to find it >>

have you removed the plastic cap from the top end of the main tube? - I know, but I have to ask :wink:

with the tube pointing up to the sky (well away from the Sun) and with no eyepiece fitted, look into the focuser - you should be able to see that the mirrors are reflecting light into the focuser tube - if you stand back a little this should be obvious.

Now bring the tube down to the horizontal and aim at something a distance away. Looking into the focuser tube with your head back a little, move the main tube upwards and downwards. You should be able to see the "target" move up and down in the view, even if it's not properly in focus. The best target for this is a distant horizon between darkish land and bright sky.

If the above work then you should be able to get some sort of picture with an eyepiece in the focuser. Point at something obvious - a distant chimney /powerline pole/ church spire and put in the longest focal length (=lowest power) eyepiece you have. Wind the focuser slowly from fully out to fully in while you look into the eyepiece. Your eye should be a few millimetres away from the eyepiece while doing this (trial and error to get the best position to see the maximum field of view). Focus slowly and be prepared for the image to appear and disappear quickly. Fine focus is a matter of a fraction of a turn in most cases.

Then before you lose the target or go to another one, take the opportunity to set your finderscope crosshairs to lie on the same target if you can. Then you will be able to point to other targets using the wide-field finder rather than peering through the narrow-field main telescope.

HTH a bit. Let us know how you get on and please ask away :D

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

Profile Send private message