It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:54 am

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:26 pm 

:P hi all i am new to astronomy and i am trying to find, if it exsits, a book for the stars as seen from all over the uk. i have a visionary 114 reflector/newtonian 4.5", i have used it a couple of times but i am lost as i do not know how find the planets and stars. i would be greatfull for any help..

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:13 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
tynesidelad wrote:
:P hi all i am new to astronomy and i am trying to find, if it exists, a book for the stars as seen from all over the uk. i have a visionary 114 reflector/newtonian 4.5", i have used it a couple of times but i am lost as i do not know how find the planets and stars. i would be greatfull for any help..

There is really little difference, as to what you can see where ever you live in the UK. In fact a simple star atlas will contain all the bright stars that you can see from anywhere in the world. Just buying a telescope is only the start of a long, steep learning curve but hopefully an interesting one! The number of books available is huge, many useful ones are listed in the SPA site to which this is attached. There are a number of magazines that can be bought at W.H.Smith plus if you joint the SPA you get a bi-monthly magazine too and this contain changeable information like where to find the planets, eclipses etc etc. ! As you and many others have discovered just buying a telescope does not immediately spread the universe before you, and, as one astronomer once wrote, buying a telescope is not like buying a television! You cannot just switch it on and use it! There is a multitude of routes that you can travel. Learning from scratch "with a telescope" with which you are unfamiliar can be a bit of a problem, especially as the amount of sky included is limited (although brighter and more magnified ) than in binoculars. regards maf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:41 am 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nortons-Star-At ... 0131451642
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Cambridge-S ... 145%2C200_
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion ... ZVH71Z3DZE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:38 pm 

thank you mike a feist and joe :D , i joined the spa yesterday, and since the help from you both i have bought, turn left at orion, and planisphere latitude 50 N, and philips stargazer all cheep on ebay and amazon.. again thanks for all the advice. :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:03 pm 

Hi and welcome :)

If you are on-line then there are planetarium programs you can download and run on your computer. Some are free, with Cartes du Ciel (Skychart) and Stellarium being especially popular with amateur stargazers. These will show you the sky in great detail as it appears from your location minute by minute through the year. You can even choose to see what the sky looks like from all round the Earth, and go forward and back in time as well.

Have a look here:

http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start
http://www.stellarium.org/

HTH,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:17 am 

:D thank you Brian, great apps i have now got them on my mobile since you told me , also a one called star walk 2, its great shows you all the stars, satellites, space stations, nebula and loads more. when you open it you tap the compass at the top left and it shows you the sky wherever you are, would recommend for everyone. it does cost about £3 to £4 cannot remember exactly and there is also in app purchase options if you want more, honestly i would recommend star walks 2 as it really is good. and again thank you Brian for your help, thank you for welcoming me :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:26 pm 

No problem :) . Let us know how you get on,

regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed