It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:46 am

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:48 pm 

Hi think I'm starting to get to grips with the setting circles on the EQ5 mount I found the RA is a very sloppy fit so it sticks when trying to dial in on co-ordinants but if you jam it up a bit with some tape it keeps it in place when locating objects I also found an app for my phone called polar finder to set the time for the polar alignment witch seams to be very close when comparing it to my star finder app but will find out better withe a clear night what I'm having trouble with is the DEC witch way is + degree and - degree as the DEC seams to be quite a way out any help would be great and I'd be happy to go more in detail about the RA circle if any one else is having the same trouble I'm planing to make it more permanent with some wire or some auto sterio wire or even some washers but that means taking the polar scope to apart then realing it back

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:14 pm 

Hi just an update as I've been playing around with my RA circle there is a small resess on the inside of the ring a single strip of selotape just seams right to hold it in place and alow you to adjust the time when aligning the polar scope and stoped it from flopping about and getting stuck tryed to put pics up but says the file is to big but if you like pics just let me know and be happy to try and private message them to you

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:59 pm 

Well, +dec is north of the celestial equator, and -dec is south of it. The celestial equator is at 0deg declination, and at this time of year passes close to delta Orionis, the upper right star of the three in Orion's belt.

If you point your scope to delta Ori, then your dec pointer should read close to zero. From there, if you rotate the scope on the dec axis upwards, you are in +dec, and if you rotate until you are pointing at Polaris, you should be reading close to +90 dec. Move the scope down from Orion's belt towards the horizon and you should be reading -dec .

If your images are too big to post, you'll need an image editing program to reduce them in size, preferably to less than 100K and jpeg format for posting. Windows for instance comes with the free program "paint" which will handle common image formats. Or more capable programs (not free) are Photoplus and Paintshop pro, or Photoshop Elements. Sorry know nothing about apps, maybe someone else can fill in :)

HTH,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:10 pm 

Thanks for that will have a go and see if it works for the pics thanks for the advice on the DEC just waiting for the sky to be clear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:54 pm 

hi I ive had a go at shrinking the photo with no luck thnk my phone takes pics to big to fit on this site I tried pait brush and saving it in all the diffrant formats . think I got lucky with the photo of orion's nebula I put on but not been abel to upload any other pic since. thanks for the advise on the DEC think ive got it figerd out will let you know when get a clear night dose any one know when these crapy clouds going to clear