It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:47 am

Post subject: polar scope setting up
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:25 pm 

Hi I've been watching vids on YouTube about polar alignment they say to set the mount in the home position once set to the pole star then turn the reticuel so the circle is at the bottom then set the time and date wouldent it be easier to set the circle to the bottom in the the home position then set the date on the polar scope so you always go back the home position that you set up at

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:41 pm 

Sorry can't help with that one :) . Not having a polar scope on my fork mounting, I'm finding it hard to visualise the description of how your polar scope functions,

Regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:40 am 

Hi,

I realise that this question was posted some time ago so chance are you are sorted by now.

I am assuming that the reticle in the EQ6 and HEQ5 mounts are broadly the same. Polaris traces out a circle around the NCP with a diameter of about 80' (arc minutes) or around 1.3 degrees. This circle is represented near the centre of the FOV in the polar scope with a cross marking the centre as the actual NCP.

Now simply use a free program like Polar204 to determine the correct position (hour angle) of Polaris for the time you are setting up. Then simply set up your mount aimed at Polaris and then sight through the polar scope so that the position of Polaris on the circle matches that shown in Polar204. This will give you a pretty good polar alignment and certainly good enough for visual observing. If planning to do any imaging I would certainly back this up with drift alignment. Recommend PHD2 for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:00 pm 

Thank you for your reply I have some what figerd the polar alignment out I use a program called polar finder and ues the ra and Dec to put the pole star where it needs to be and it seams to work I've made a copel of modification to my EQ5 mount which has made the mount better and easier to use